Sunday, October 10, 2010

New Chiodos Brings Desirable Change

One of the recent hot topics of discussion is the departure of ex-Chiodos front man Craig Owens who was replaced by ex-Yesterday's Rising vocalist Brandon Bolmer.

I personally loved Chiodos' first two studio albums All's Well That Ends Well and Bone Palace Ballet. Owens voice really stood out to me above the music. Though he isn't my favorite, songs such as The Word's Best Friend Become Redefined and The Undertaker's Thirst for Revenge is Unquenchable frequently have and continue to find their way in my playlists.

That being said I am highly impressed with the job the entire band has done on their new album Illuminaudio, which was released on 10/5/10. Not only was Bolmer quite possibly the perfect replacement for Owens, but all of the other members songwriting hit a new high in my opinion. I can not speak for the entire album, but if the three songs I have heard (Love is a Cat from Hell, Modern Wolf Hair, and Those Who Slay Together Stay Together) are any indication of the rest of the album, this will easily be the groups best release to date in my opinion.

How do you feel about the change in vocalists? Why do you like/dislike the new Chiodos? What songs do you like on the new album?

Also, what other bands would you like to discuss via this blog?

Let me know in a comment.

2 comments:

  1. I think chiodos should have a name change along with the front mab change. Owens voice is what made the band so identifiable. And without that voice, its just not that same. No way at all. It's like from first to last, although Matt good was the original lead singer, sonny more gave them their name, and when he left and Matt came back, their whole sound changed (for the worse in my opinion.) But on the other hand, I can see how keeping the name the same can help the new sound if said name is already well known. How do you feel about Dustin Kensrue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand where you are coming from. Owens is a very unique vocalist. But also wouldn't you feel that a name change would disrespect the musicians in the band? They have basically been living in Owens' shadow until now and I feel their instrumental contributions will finally gain some credibility.

    Also if you look throughout history, one of the most famous vocalist changes that comes to mind is Alice in Chains. Layne Staley is arguably one of the best rock vocalists in history. Years had passed after his death, which could even further strengthen the argument for a name change. But when they selected a new vocalist they returned as Alice in Chains and it was possibly the best decision given the circumstance.

    I think people will warm up to Chiodos sticking with their name. But again this is all just opinion.

    As far as Dustin Kensrue, I have never heard. I will definitely be checking it out though.

    ReplyDelete