Saturday, October 23, 2010

Dropping the Pounds

Over the course of the past two months I have been able to lose 25 pounds. I have more confidence, I am healthier, and I am just more positive about life as a whole.Some of you may yearn to lose weight but have failed to find success. I want to talk about the simple steps I've taken to effectively change my weight, appearance, and health.

You have probably heard it time and time again, but by simply changing your diet and exercise habits, weight loss is quite attainable.

So if you do not already know, you may be asking, what exactly is required to lose weight? It is simply burning more calories than you take in. This is one reason why exercise is so important to a healthy lifestyle. It is important to note, however, that there is a point where you can burn too many calories. At this point your weight loss could actually come to a stall.

Figuring out how many calories you need and how much exercise to do in a week can be difficult to figure out. I personally have been able to start my weight-loss regimen with Sparkpeople. This website allows me to track my calorie intake, daily exercise, and allows me to connect with a network of others that are striving to get in a better physical condition.

I have heard that many look to specialty diets to attempt to lose weight. The creators of these diet plans feel that they have discovered some revolutionary weight loss tip that no one else is aware of yet. I honestly could not tell you if they work or not, because I've never been motivated enough to stick to the ones that I attempted for very long. These specialty diets may very well help drop some pounds during the course of them, but if a beneficial change is not made in your eating habits you will more than likely not keep the weight off.

I feel that if you want to experience the weight loss you may desire, it is important to develop a program where you can take in enough calories to nourish your body, while burning enough to initiate the process of losing.

If you have had trouble losing weight, what has been your biggest hurdle?
Maybe you have succeeded at losing weight. What has worked for you?
Have you found success in any specialty diets that you were able to maintain for an extended period of time after the completion of the program?

9 comments:

  1. I want you to be my workout buddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had trouble losing weight in the past. The biggest hurdle for me is just sticking with it. Sure I'll exercise and eat better for a week or two but then I always go back to my old ways. Thanks for sharing your story. I'll have to check that website out! This gives me new motivation to try and stick with a healthy lifestyle. And congrats on the 25 pound loss!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've gone through a big journey myself in that area. Counting calories was very important in that journey. Another important part was keeping myself motivated by finding something that pushed me, that wouldn't go away, so I would keep up the effort. Keeping your motivation was the difference for me in between a temporary diet and a permanent lifestyle change.

    Some things I found a lot of success with in my diet:
    hot green tea
    lots of coffee
    hot sauce/spices/peppers
    wheat bread for carbs
    eating smaller meals every 4-ish hours

    ReplyDelete
  4. And congrats big on the 25 pounds! You're doing something right. Let us know what works and doesn't work well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittany- Sounds good. :)

    Katherine- I did that a lot. I would exercise and eat great for a week or two and then just have terrible eating binges. The website helped me a lot, but it may not be what everyone needs.

    Stan- Congrats on your success as well. I was going to post more tomorrow about what has personally worked for me. I am just trying not to overload each post in an effort to keep readers attention.

    I appreciate the support and comments guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome, this time last year i weighed in @ 229, and was working out daily, i lost about 40 pounds in 2009. Now i tip the scales @ 287 LOL. I have a gross lack of discipline, and i am lazy and i really like beer, although this time last year i was about 2 packs of Marlboro a day, i have recently quit so.......
    i am Stacy Wade

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was in high school I was around 160. When I quit playing sports I jumped up over 200.I couldn't muster up the discipline to stick to any weight loss for 4 years. You just have to hit that bottom point. I'm still struggling, but I just have to find the motivation to stick to it. Good job on quitting the smoking, it is my least favorite thing ever haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ehh..i agree with some points..although i think eating "right" is over rated...i have always ate extremly unhealthy, but have always used motivation..i ate whatevr the hell i wanted to in high school and was fit as hell..ive gained alot of weight since then..but there has been times that i would work out for a couple weeks and see good results while still eating whatever i wanted to. and i know that once i get my mtivation back up and start working out full time like i use to i will not probaly lose all the weight but i will turn most of it into muscle..which is better in my opinion...maybe its just my body but ive always been able to eat, drink booze, and pretty much do whatever and show results. its always been a mind game for me..just think to myself while im doing crunches or lifting weights that i have to keep going. maybe i think someones life is on the line if i dont get these next 5 reps..idk i just kind of make an adventure out of it...im gonna start again at the beggining of november while eating fast food everyday pr just whatever i want and post my results to you to show that not everyone has to count calories to get results..."ride the tiger"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eating healthy is stressed because it is better for your body. The link at the end of this comment shows a story where a professor lost weight on a diet heavily made up of Twinkies. The health results haven't shown yet, but this still proves the point I am making. When you were in high school, you were very active in sports, you were constantly burning calories. If you read this article at the end, you will see that although this professor is eating "unhealthy," he is getting enough exercise to burn more calories than he consumes.

    So you may not need to count the calories, but you definitely have to burn more than you consume. It is just more motivating for some people to keep track of their calorie intake.

    http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20100917/twinkie-diet-100917/

    ReplyDelete